Thursday, January 21, 2010

Don't look now but it happened!

I guess it happened! I didn't think it would, I read that it might........

Well friends, this Afterschooling mom has gone Homeschooling mom. On Monday I am pulling my Spencer out of school too. I am surprised myself and I am absolutely speechless every time someone asks me, "WHY?". That is a tricky question for so many reasons. I respect public education and understand the importance and the amazing role that it plays in the lives of so many children including my own. So in no way do I want to discount the public school system. I think basically I just want them to myself. I have loved having Matthew home and our relationship has grown by leaps and bounds. Matthew and I often find ourselves saying, "Spencer would love this". So why not?

Maggie will remain in Kindergarten (she loves it) and possibly come home for first grade. I will not continue to Afterschool her in the same was as I was before as she is very tired by the end of the day and has a hard time with the extra. Instead I will read the girl to death and enjoy listening to her read to me (which she is very good at).

I hope not to disappoint as I have loved the Afterschooling program and the enrichment that it has provided for my family. I have loved blogging about it and looking back and reading about our GREAT success and times I needed a life line.

Saying goodbye to Afterschooling is a bitter sweet thing for my husband and I. We have loved spending that extra time with the kids and enriching their learning. However, minus the homework and plus the free time equals MORE FAMILY FUN! We plan on continuing religious studies the same as before but adding more outdoor time, Science experiments, trips to the library, parks, bike rides, hikes and the list could go on forever.

I am going to keep my blog going it will just have a new name (still thinking). Thanks to all or should I say the few moms that read and shared in my Adventures in Afterschooling. Please do not leave me, I promise you will not be disappointed.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

I am excited for your new adventure. It is a great hard thing to do. But I truly love it!!

Malie said...

Wow!! When I read that you were homeschooling, it didn't surprise me. I have actually been teetering with the idea for my younger kids. The education in Hawaii is so bad right now. There's not enough money and so the solution was to have furlough days. And even when they are in school, some days sound like a waste of time. Still haven't decided what I want to do. I already know what program I would use (it sounds like the same as what you might be doing). I'll keep you posted. Good for you though!