Saturday, November 7, 2009

Confessions of an Afterschooling mom

I started out with the title: Diary of an Afterschooling mom and decided that wasn't quite right. Today it is confessions.

I am a slacker! Or at least I feel like one. This past week my husband and I sat down together and I asked him to review my Afterschooling schedule with me because we really aren't hitting everything. As we looked over the outline and gave a nod to the things we have been working on and a moan to the things we haven't been working on discouragement set in. We both agreed that the outline was doable we just needed to post it and review it each day.

It really is a good outline and it took me a little over a year to come up with one that I really like. I just get lost in the "world". Sad, I know, but there is so much to do, see, create, play with and buy. It starts to absorb my time and energy so at the end of the day when it is time for Afterschooling I am tired and I don't give the 100% that my kiddos deserve.

When I first learned about Afterschooling it was all I could think about. I joined forums, online groups and even started this blog. It was so motivational to hear from others, to get ideas and share our frustrations. I guess the Honey Moon is over and now it is going to take effort and work to keep the spirit alive. After reviewing the schedule with my husband I decide to visit some of the forums that I had joined during my Honey Moon phase. They got me so pumped up and I gathered at least a couple of ideas to fire me back up. I guess that is why the world is filled with tons of people carrying an endless supply of knowledge and talents so we can work together, learn from each other and make our voyages easier to travel. I do love Afterschooling it's my favorite journey that I have been on as a mother.

I am going to recommit myself to the journey. Pull in my anchor and set sail. Full speed ahead!

Here is the schedule for this year (you know the one I haven't been following). I know that I have posted the areas that we will be focusing on this year (find it here) but I don't think I have posted my weekly schedule.

Before School
Chores
Music Practice

After School: 1 hr of play and then
Monday
Scripture Study, Unit Study, Homework, Extra Math
Tuesday
Scripture Study, History Studies, Homework
Wednesday
Scripture Study, Unit Study, Homework, Extra Math
Thursday
Scripture Study, History Studies, Homework, Spelling Test Help
Friday
Unit Study Project, History Theatre
Saturday
Catch up day, Field Trips
Sunday
Writing, Readers Theatre, Games (not all, we just choose one sometimes two)

I know making a schedule is the hardest part. With Afterschooling there is a fine line between to much and not enough. This schedule has great potential. Looking at it I can see where we are lacking and how easily and perfectly it would fit into our lives.

As part of my "recommitting" myself, I am going to change my blog around. I want to put all of my links I use, blogs I check out and web stores I purchase from in one place. Keep a look out for the changes!!

No comments: