Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Journey through books

I feel a little silly for not putting thought into what type of books my children are reading. I was to busy celebrating the fact that they were reading and enjoying it.

While exploring the Core Knowledge website I came across this very cool "EXPEDITION". It helps children to expand their minds and their reading materials. I searched the website and I was not able to find the location of the expedition so I will explain what it is all about.

The expedition looks like a treasure map with each stop having a picture (ex. our map has a Harry Potter picture, a picture of Peter Pan and a detective.) Next to the picture you write the type of book the child needs to read (ex. Fiction, Nonfiction, Biography, Mystery) along with a line for the child to write the title of the book they chose. Our expedition has five stops and a treasure at the end.

The treasure is whatever you decide (ex. extra game time for the week, a toy they have been wanting, a field trip to a place of interest, ice cream).
I like this method mostly because the only work I put into it is creating the expedition the rest is up to the child.

No comments: