Monday, January 12, 2009

What about the other stuff?

Well I am still trying to figure out how to work math, writing practice and world history into our Afterschooling program. I am planning on ordering The Story of The World books next week. I noticed they are pretty cheap on Ebay and they even sell the activity books too. I am excited to get that started. I am currently looking into Saxon math and I think I will use their placement tests just to see where my kids are at. My youngest son's teacher said he was struggling a bit in writing so she gave me the 6 traits paper and I think we will make Sundays a day to write. I have a creative writing game I picked up at a yard sale and some story starters I found online so I think I will go from there. Of course everything is easier said then done. One thing at a time and I will continue to post my progress in getting Afterschooling ROCKING!!
BYE FOR NOW!!!

1 comment:

Marianna said...

Hello,

I am struggling with how little my child is learning in school and how much he needs to know. He goes to a decent elementary school in the second biggest school system in the U.S. They have a 20 to 1 ratio (of students to teachers for grades k-3), but due to budget shortfalls they will be increasing the class sizes and firing some of the younger non-tenured teachers (my sons nice teacher will be one of them). The math program is ok, but the English is HORRIBLE. It is called Open Court and it is the worst system I have ever seen. Both of the teachers that my son has had so far through the years actively dislike this program. Both of them agree, that "This is not the way children learn" (their words not mine) and yet they teach it because they would be fired if they don't. I would love to say that I can homeschool him, but I know that I don't have the temperament for it. Afterschooling seems like a valid alternative.

I would like to do Math and English with him in addition to school. But I have NO idea where to begin. How did you start? What resources were your guides? How did you get your kids to agree to more homework on top of school work? Any ideas would be much appreciated

Sincerely,
Marianna